All GIFs from Giphy.
Last week, we were honored to be part of the DC Tech Day. It was a great networking experience and it allowed us to learn more about fellow tech startups in the area. We had some thoughts at the tradeshow that we talked about as we debriefed. After agreeing that these thoughts are relatable to most others who attended, we decided to share them.
1. If I don’t walk around to get my freebie snacks and water now, will they run out? #hungry
We all like food. But I think we can all agree that we love free food. DC Tech Day is an answer to our hungry prayers. From fun sized candy to full size to-go meals, you can find food to satisfy any craving of yours. Of course we panicked, and insisted on trying all of these things within the first hour of the show. What if they ran out? That would be a tragedy.
2. How did I not come up with that idea for an app or company first?
This probably isn’t the first time you’ve had this thought, but it is definitely a re-occurring one at the show. Lots of the companies have a solution to many of your long existing problems. So why didn’t you think of their idea?
3. At this point I’m pretty sure I’ve pitched my company so many times that I sound like an automated voice recording.
Don’t get us wrong, we are passionate about our company. We want to inform people about what we do and how we can solve their problems. But by the end of the day, we’re pretty sure we sound like a broken record.
4. “I love your high quality banner and elaborate table setup!” (You have funding, obvi. Must be nice).
There’s nothing wrong with some funding. In fact, it is great to see fellow DC Tech Startups have these fortunate opportunities. It’s simply just an observation that the nicer your table looks, the better funding you most likely have.
5. Your company is innovative? That’s so unique!
How are you so innovative? What makes you more innovative than the booth next to you? Seriously, if we had a dollar for every time we heard the word innovative, we could Series A fund ourselves.
6. How many free t-shirts can I collect without looking like I just went crazy at a Black Friday sale?
Is there some sort of unspoken rule about how many free t-shirts you can take? We hope not. The strategy is to only take two or three each time you walk around, so you don’t look like a t-shirt hoarder. Take the free t-shirts little by little, not all at once.
7. When one of these start-ups makes it big, I’ll be able to say their CEO once gave me a free pen.
This is probably the coolest part about DC Tech Day. Chances are many of the companies you see at the show will make it big one of these days. This is why you should network as much as possible. You have the opportunity to meet a company’s most influential and powerful team members because their company is still small. When these people are successful in the start up industry, you’ll be able to say that you not only met them, but got a free pen from them too.