The Content Production Process Template
This template is extracted from the "Effective Content Production & Promotion" course. Short paragraphs get read. Long paragraphs get skimmed. Very long paragraphs get skipped. ~ Jason Fried
Templates in this series
What you'll want to do is build either a spreadsheet or a Kanban/Trello/Asana/Notion board that tracks these steps in the process. We use Notion (really for everything, including the early draft of this content).
There is a number or "roles" that people have to play in this process. You may wear all of the hats, but as you scale, you will outsource some or most of these.
- Content Manager—manages the overall schedule of the content, checks in and moves the process forward.
- **Copywriter—**writes content, following a style guide. Should domain knowledge about the subject. Dark blue boxes.
- Editor—has significant digital communications experience. Intimate with project objectives, domain knowledge, and has relationships with subject experts. Reddish boxes.
- Subject expert—authoritative subject voice, access accurate information for interviews.
- CMS Editor—confident in CMS, can populate the content and add images, handle linking, and make the content published. Must have some SEO knowledge and understand HTML. Teal boxes.
- Graphics designer—provides custom graphics where required that match the style and tone of the website. Green boxes.